"Good taste is the death of art." Truman Capote

"Good taste is the death of art."  Truman Capote
Check in at The Cirrhosis Motel with your host, freelance literary loiterer and epicure, Dennis McBride

photo by John Hogl

Sunday, July 1, 2007

Mustard

I’m tired tonight.
The wrists and mind are weak
and there’s so much to do.
I think of all the dirty windows of the world,
the lost keys to locked doors,
and I drift toward the longing of
a slightly burnt hot dog with mustard
like a single engine plane on empty
looking for a sure place to land.
My dog Alfie and I are still alive
and I know this is a miracle.
He’s twenty-one years old.
That’s a hundred and forty seven
In human years.
But sometimes, when he’s chasing a grasshopper,
he forgets that and his arthritis vanishes.
It is good to desire what you don’t have,
even lilacs come back again and again.
Suddenly he’s four and a half,
following something inside
the dark cave of his mind,
glittering and sparkling.

No comments: